Thursday, January 21, 2010

Compromise in Decorating?

For those of you who share a home with a husband and kids, how to you compromise in decorating to include some masculine touches and kid friendly decor? My dream home is filled with neutral colors, lots of pale blues and greens, shabby antiques, white couches and wood floors. However, a lot of my likes differ from my hubby's...who actually wants a say in how our home is decorated! Grr! Haha! Luckily for us we have several years before our dream home is a reality, so there is plenty of time to work up a solution that will make us both happy---and one that includes kid-friendly spaces as well.

Below are some images (taken from Country Living) of some rooms and pieces that I just love.


This little hutch is to die for...and that blue bench is just so quaint! Love it!

I would {LoVe} to have a china cabinet like this one, it is simply beautiful. And those blue dishes are right up my alley!

Lovely soothing white couches (that my husband just abhors!)...but they make me feel happy!

I love all the white. Very calming, especially when a little blue and grey is tossed in. Yep, I'm lovin' it!

That lovely mirror on the wall is simply breathtaking.

This is a couple's master bedroom...my hubby would definitely NOT go for the pink walls...honestly, I wouldn't either...but I do love the femininity of this Master Bedroom.

So, if any of you have any tips to have a nice balance of feminine, masculine and kid-friendly home please pass them along!



4 comments:

  1. Hello Grace,
    Thanks for the beautiful eye candy...LOVE all the crisp WHITE! Hope you have a FUN day!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are beautiful. I'm lucky in that my husband doesn't say too much. Also, since he's a surfer, (living in the desert, I know, it doesn't make sense) as long as I throw in some beachy things, it works for him. He would never go for white couches, but he doesn't mind that I through white covers over them. Right now I have a white matalasse coverlet over my loveseat. I wouldn't do the pink walls in the master bedroom either though :-)
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, sweet ladies! Aren't those pictures just gorgeous?! Have a great weekend!

    -Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gracie,

    I understand your dilemma. Matthew & I struggle to meet in the middle of "functional" Vs. "beautiful". He doesn't care so much about how I decorate (although he had to adjust to my style...but now he says it reminds him of me)...so long as it's functional. He's okay if there's wires and visible electronics strewn all over the living room if it's functional. Ha! Not me...so we have to always strike a happy comopromise.

    What about this? Ask Aaron what it is that is REALLY important to him, and go from there. Maybe as long as he has the basics (like a good, comfy couch he likes, a good tV set-up, etc.) he won't mind TOO much about the colors & decor. ??

    Love you and good luck!

    -Gail

    ReplyDelete