Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Retail Therapy

Today was my son's first day of "school"...really just a mother's day out program, but school is so much easier for him to grasp...and, being that I am a full-time stay at home mommy, this was the first day in I don't know how long that I've had multiple hours alone to myself...I really didn't quite know what to do with all of my free time! 5 whole hours to call my own, what a gift! Truth be told, I was pretty reluctant to let go, and had convinced myself last night that I was the worst mother in the world---who just lets their not even 2 year old "grow up" like that???---me! When I woke up this morning I knew that I had made the right decision, and the tears from the night before (which had my husband wondering what the heck was wrong with me) were *almost* forgotten.

So, what did I do with all of my "me time" today...some good old fashioned retail therapy, that's what! I ran a few errands (including a trip to Michael's to grab up some craft supplies) and then I hit my very favorite little gift shop that is overflowing with all things girly and homey and fun. It was nice to be able to browse through the shop, sipping on the complimentary coffee, without having to worry about having to rush right home. I think that I spent a whole hour just looking around, breathing in the aroma of coffee and candles, and it was wonderful!

Here are a few things that I grabbed up today!


I saw this cute lamp...and after doing a double-take I snatched it up so fast that I almost spilled my coffee! I just love the color and the price wasn't too outrageous, actually, quite reasonable in my opinion for a new lamp - $25 for the lamp and shade.

The bird cage I found at Michael's for $6! It was 40% off of the original $10. I have been looking for a birdie cage for awhile now, and I finally found one that is just perfect!


What a cozy little lamp! Can you be in love with a lamp???...because I think that I am! *wink!!!*

Inside the bird cage is one of my absolute favorite candle scents, Dolce Vita by Tyler Candle Co. I absolutely LOVE Tyler candles! They are simply wonderful!


The candle is nestled sweetly in a nest of jute twine.

I had a few more minor purchases to complete my retail therapy "session" today...which I am sure you will see in later posts! But this is all for now! Have a great Tuesday, y'all!!!




I am linking this post to Toot Your Horn Tuesday at:

7 comments:

  1. Hi Grace, what a lovely blog you have! I've enjoyed perusing your posts for the last 1/2 hour. Just beautiful. I agree with you on those white hutches and the touch of robin egg blue....such a great color combination...very soothing to the soul. I saw a white hutch redo recently where the outside and shelves were painted white...but the back inside was light robin egg blue. Then the gal placed white dishes and little pitchers in it. It was so simple and so stunning! I know you would like it. If I can find it again I will send you the post address.
    Have a blessed day!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's totally OK!! I just put my 2 year old in a mother's day out program also. She goes 4 hours every Tuesday. It's a God send! I felt the same as you at first. I'm blessed to be a stay-at-home mom, so why would I be putting my baby in a "pre-school?!" But she loves it and I have 4 hours a week to regain some sanity.
    Your lamp and birdcage are awesome!!! Enjoy! And thanks for playing along on Toot Your Horn Tuesday. I look forward to hearing how next week goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace,
    I LOVE your lamp too...great color! Now that bird cage was a super deal...awesome idea with the candle nesting.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the lamp and the birdcage! So sweet! I think it's possible to be in love with a lamp....maybe you should give it a Valentine. ;) Oh, and great job on taking the step to move forward with taking Johnathan to "school". Sounds like you made the right decision and I'm proud of you. That couldn't have been easy.

    Love you...and I think you're a WONDERFUL mother!!!

    -Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you, mom. You need time on your own. It's good for you and your boy. Anyway, you found the cutest things. I love the little lamp as well. What is it made out of? Also, the twine "nest" is very clever. Thanks for sharing your therapy with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute treasures you came up with on your "time out"! ;)
    Refreshed Mama's are so much nicer than tired, worn out ones don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. when my second was born, i put my first in 2 day "twos" program. I am a big believer in a child experiencing, imagining and playing. i really felt the school she was in fostered that so she really thrived. she is very social, so it was a good outlet for her.

    ReplyDelete