Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Busy Being Inspired

Lately I have been busy, figuratively & literally, being inspired by many of the women I have met through the blog world. I am now seeing things around my home in a different light, transforming objects that I didn't like before into pieces that I am proud of. Who would have known that the ugly brown frame I so disdained could take on a beautiful "Shabby Chic" look with a few coats of paint and a little distressing! It's amazing what paint can do...I guess it's like make-up for the home, and the results after making over several frames and other easily painted items is amazing! (Will post pictures later when there is some natural light in the house...it's currently quite dark in here, with just the light from my lamp, candles and computer screen!)

Also, this past weekend I had my first "junking" experience, and visited a neighborhood-wide garage sale. Several homes in a very nice subdivision participated, and I was just sure that I could find some treasures like the ones that I've read about from the "junkers" in blogland. And I was right! I came home with 3 gorgeous vintage wooden windows like the one that I already have on my front porch. I also got a vintage blue Ball Mason jar and two small frames that I have already painted and used to display some sea shells. All for just 6 bucks! Woohoo! (Yes, pics will be posted soon!)

In all of my excitement of making our home a place of comfort and peace, I have been reminded by my dear sister-in-law that it doesn't take things to make a home. It is the memories made and the love that is shared that truly makes home a place of refuge. It is so easy to get caught up in the creating that I forget what is of utmost importance...spending quality time with the ones living in this home with me---making messes with my toddler, not caring that he is throwing all of the pillows off the couch onto the floor, and giving my husband the time and attention that he needs when he has returned home after a long day at work. That kind of love and respect will go a long way to making my home a place where my son feels confident to explore his creativity and where my husband longs to return after being away for hours on end out in the "real world." And that's what I want my home to reflect. Security. Peace. Love.

So, though I am not going to damper my own creative instincts, I will try to keep in mind what is truly important as I continue to be inspired and hopefully as I inspire as well. Thanks, Kayla, for putting it all into perspective for me! Love you!

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree...I get so caught up in decorating my home and working on projects that I am sometimes missing the most important aspect of what makes a house a home - the people in it. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post...I agree wholeheartedly. I love your quote too...that "paint is make-up for the house". That's a good way of putting it. Better trademark that one!

    Love you lots and lots and lots and lots,

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace,
    Thanks for the kind words! .....maybe one of these days we can go junking together!Love ya!
    Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true so true! I sometimes get wrapped up in cleaning and such that I forget to spend time with the people that mean the most to me. I've learned that its ok to let the dishes sit for a little bit while I play with my children!

    ReplyDelete